not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Saturday, March 7, 2015

AUSSIE AUTUMN AIR

POST # 158

There was a distinct chill in the morning air yesterday, which was a welcome relief to the heat. For the first time since arriving in Australia back in November, I actually had to put on my fleece to feel comfortable.  I could even see my breath yesterday morning.  Perhaps the season is trying to tell me something?  Perhaps it's time to start thinking about heading back to the northern hemisphere in the not too distant future?

According to Aussies, the first day of Autumn is March 1st.  For some reason they don't seem to follow the precise change of the season down under.  I never could understand why.  But with the coolness in the morning air yesterday, maybe they know something I don't?

Whatever the case may be, I for one am enjoying the drop in temperature, and if it stays like this for the remainder of my time in Australia, I won't be complaining.

In just over a week from now, Pippen's owners will be returning here to Albury, and I will be heading off to my next assignment in a place called Salamander Bay, NSW, which is north of Sydney.  At this point, it is my final house sit here in Australia, however, that is subject to change.

Now, on a totally unrelated note.  Tomorrow marks the one year anniversary of the "disappearance" of Malaysian airline flight MH370.  Since modern aviation began and right up until this flight went missing, the only other recorded flight to have done the same thing was when Amelia Earhart's flight over the Pacific disappeared way back in July 1937.  In this day and age, when anyone with a smart phone can be located, and when satellites can detect even the smallest of objects from space, I find it impossible to believe that something as large as a Boeing 777 could just vanish without a trace.  Do I know what happened to it?  Of course not.  Do I think that the whole story is being told?  Absolutely not. Do I spend a lot of time pondering this mystery?  No, because there are more pressing issues to think about.  In the greater scheme of things, this is just a small footnote in history as it unfolds, unless of course, you're one of the many family members left behind to wonder what happened to your loved ones.  For you, not knowing, must be quite a burden to bear.

Pippen the dog is giving me "the look".  He's suggesting that a walk would be about the best thing that we could be doing with our time, instead of sitting in front of a computer screen.  For Pippen, this is his pressing issue.  I think he's right.  Time to go enjoy some of that Aussie Autumn air down along the Murray river.






No comments:

Post a Comment