not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Saturday, March 21, 2015

MY FURBALL AND BONEHEAD FRIENDS IN SALAMANDER BAY

POST # 160

It seems like ages ago since I left my previous house sit, however it's only been a week.  Maybe that means that I am getting the most out of each precious moment and as a result,  the time spent here feels longer than normal.  Who knows?

After saying my final goodbye to Pippen the dog, I headed to the train station in Albury in preparation for my journey north.  The train was delayed, and while waiting, I took a few photos including this one.  These have to be the most unique bike racks that I've ever come across.  Only a dedicated bike rider could appreciate their appearance.


Eventually the train arrived and I was on my way.  The journey was suppose to be via train all the way to Central Station in Sydney, however due to track maintenance we had to change over to a bus at Gouldburn and continue from there on the highway.  I was expecting a tight connection time at Central for my train journey north to Newcastle, and with the train being delayed and the transfer to the bus, by the time we arrived at Central, it was going to be very close.  Without much trouble, I found the correct platform, but when I arrived, I was informed by the rail attendant with the twangiest of Aussie accents that, "Sorry mate, you missed it by one minute."  The next train wouldn't be leaving for another hour and a half.  Oh well, it's not like it's an unusual thing for me to be hanging out in a train station, bus station, or an airport for that matter.  I think airports are my favourite of the three.

I didn't depart Central until 9:45pm and eventually I arrived in Newcastle (Broadmeadow Station) about 20 minutes before 1am.  I had been up since 6am. Thankfully, my friend John was there to collect me and we drove back to his place.  It had been a very long day, and I was happy to see a bed.

The next morning was spent visiting with John, Linda, and other family members who had been in town for a wedding, and eventually John and his son Patrick and I drove north to my final destination, Salamander Bay. 

And this is where I now sit, typing this latest blog.  I have plenty of four legged friends to keep me company.


BAXTER



BAM BAM



TILLY

It hasn't taken very long for us to get into a comfortable routine, which begins with the morning greeting.


In addition to all this excitement,  Tilly likes to take advantage of my lap every now and again, while Baxter and Bam Bam camp out on the floor at my feet.


It's been a while since I've had the pleasure of spending time with a cat, and it's been even longer since I have found one this relaxed.  Tilly reminds me of another big black cat named Felix who lives with his other furball friends on Orcas Island in Washington state.  Tilly is his Aussie twin.

So it's a happy housesit and I am grateful for the opportunity to take care of these guys for a little while longer.  They like to be wherever I am, as can be seen in the following video.

 
 
I think that's enough for today.  Perhaps next week I'll give another methane update, but in the meantime, I'll focus on my furball and bonehead friends in Salamander Bay.
And just one more thing.  I received a link to a friend's blog in Oregon this morning, so I thought it would be nice to share it here.

http://embracingcollapse.blogspot.com.au/

Happy trails,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer





No comments:

Post a Comment