not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

THE VACATION IS ALMOST OVER

POST # 118


Well, vacation time is almost over. People who know me probably think that since I quit my last job on January 27th 2009, that I have been on a permanent vacation ever since.
By any standard measure of the current culture, I guess that would be technically correct. However when I am at a housesit, especially one where there are pets involved, I like to think that I am working. It’s great work if you can get it, and so I have been lucky so far.

My last work ended when I left Chilliwack and Austin the dog in the latter part of April and since then I have been vacationing at lovely Shelter Bay in Washington State.
On Friday this week though, the vacation comes to and end, when I make the move to another housesit not too far from here, near the town of Snohomish. It will be a joint effort with my friend Mary, and we will be situated out in the country on thirty acres of land. It will be very peaceful I am sure, and it was a friend of Mary’s who brought this housesit to our attention.

It’s late morning as I write these words, here in Shelter Bay, and it has been a gorgeous start to the day. In addition to the magnificent view over the water of Martha’s Bay, there are plenty of trees and wildlife, especially birds to keep one’s mind focused on the present. Just the other day in fact, there were two bald headed eagles soaring overhead for a while until one, and then the other decided to extend their legs and come in for a landing on two different trees right in front of the house. It was a rare and marvelous event to watch.

The weather seems to be holding, so it would probably be a good time to finish this short blog, and get outside for a walk.

Happy Trails,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

No comments:

Post a Comment