not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

PLACE OF HARMONY

POST # 104

Ramsay, a man I knew when I lived in Vancouver was also a sailboat owner. This fact caused us to strike up a conversation one day about the location of his boat. He told me that it was in a place called Sointula which I had never heard about.



So the other day, I was looking through the book collection at my current housesit here in Maple Bay and I saw one titled, "Sointula" and if it hadn't been for that conversation with Ramsay, I would have never plucked it from the shelf. I'm glad I did though, as I am enjoying the read.

And it looks like a beautiful place as shown in the images below, but I wonder just how many days are like this? Sointula is located on Malcolm Island which is a small island wedged between the very northern part of Vancouver Island and the mainland. My guess is that it has a high percentage of rainy and or cloudy days throughout the year. Sointula is the Finnish name for "Place of Harmony." Apparently a group of Finns paddled here from Nanaimo in 1901.


Back here at the ranch in Maple Bay, my four legged friends have been working at perfecting yoga poses. First, we have yogi Abby in the "dog at rest" pose:



Followed by yogi Bill in the slightly more complex "turkey leg" pose:

WARNING:DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME

Perhaps Abby and Bill will inspire me to take up yoga at some point in the future, however I'm not too sure about that. Abby's moves look doable, but that turkey leg manoeuvre makes my back hurt.

Today marks the end of week two here in Maple Bay, two-thirds of the way through, and the three of us have settled into a comfortable routine. Abby and I have been getting in plenty of walks and Bill plenty of sleeps and I expect that to continue for our final week together. It isn't Sointula, but it most certainly is a place of harmony.

Now, let's get back to that book, eh?



Happy Trails

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

PS. Of course I always think of mom today as it would have been her 98th birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment