not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Sunday, April 14, 2013

THE ODD COUPLE'S EVEN ODDER

POST # 67

Before, that is, the last time I was housesitting here on Orcas Island, I only had the "odd couple" aka Oscar and Felix to care for. The odd couple, but an even number of cats. But now things have changed. Now the odd couple is truly odd, with a third cat on the scene. Her name is Sophie.

Sophie arrived here from the animal shelter a while back. She's still just a kitten and that being so, she has the energy and curiosity of a kitten. Because she is small and young, Oscar and Felix appear to have adjusted to this new addition to the house, and I haven't seen any conflict since I arrived here about a week ago. Of course there is the usual cat wrestling that takes place, but Oscar and Felix were doing that with each other before Sophie arrived. The only difference that I see now, is that instead of it being Oscar vs Felix, it's now either Oscar vs Sophie, or Felix vs Sophie. I have yet to see a cat rumble involving all three of them, but hey, I'm here for a while longer so it may still happen.

The Sophie addition has made the housesitter, that would be me, have to adjust to a new feeding routine for the cats. It used to be pretty easy and straight forward with only the other two, but with Sophie now on board, I have to squirrel her away in a separate room for meal time (as per the owner's request) otherwise she somehow manages to get to the food before Oscar or Felix do. She doesn't seem to be intimidated at all in spite of the fact the two male cats both outweigh her by at least double. So the challenge is to get Sophie into the separate room with the food, without Oscar or Felix following us there. Actually, Oscar seems content to wait by his dish, but Felix usually runs into the room with Sophie, me and the food. We play this little game of back and forth until I can manage to separate Felix and Sophie, and from there on in, my problem is solved. I'm getting better at it as each day passes.

Life here back on Orcas (my fourth visit) is comfortable and serene, and I have no real complaints to speak of other than a few nagging aches and pains, which I think I mentioned in my previous blog. That aside, it's very relaxing to be hanging out here with the cats, and getting in a daily bike ride if the weather allows. Somehow the days just race on by in spite of the fact that I have a very open schedule.

It's still morning as I write these words, and after an earlier shower, the air is fresh, and the sun is beginning to shine on the surrounding countryside. My three furballs have now found their respective places to curl up and have their post breakfast nap. I guess eating takes a lot of energy out of them. So while my odd couple plus one take a break in the action, I think I'll take this opportunity to get outside and enjoy what's left of the morning.

Happy Trails

Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer

No comments:

Post a Comment