not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Sunday, April 21, 2013

LOAFING AND DIGGING CLAMS

POST # 68


There is a beach called Crescent beach which I travel past most days on my daily bike ride. It sits at the head of East Sound, the large body of water that divides Orcas Island from East to West.

According to a book titled "Magic Islands", back in the 1860's and '70's "the shoreline at Crescent Beach was white with the tents of mainland people who had come over to the island to get away from it all." It goes on to say that "even before this, the Indians used to come here from all up and down the coast to loaf, fish, dig clams, and enjoy life."

This past week there has been some very low tides and this has allowed the digging for clams tradition to continue. For my part, I was happy to sit down in the sand propped up by a large piece of driftwood, and just "loaf" and enjoy life, while watching the others dig for clams. Not far from Crescent Beach is the town of Eastsound. Along the foreshore amongst other buildings sits a church, and according to the same book, the original pastor and his wife survived their first years here by just living off clams. Things have changed since then. In fact I haven't eaten even one clam since I arrived, and my guess is, that I probably won't by the time I leave next month.

Even though I haven't enjoyed any clams, I certainly can lay claim to the fact that I have been enjoying my fair share of "loafing" as each day melts into the next. I am going to pass the buck and blame it on the cats. The three of them like to spend a large portion of their days lounging around the house. In fact that is what they are doing right this moment. I'm tempted to go join them, but I had best get at least a few more words in before I do so. As I mentioned in last week's blog, after breakfast, the furballs like to find their favourite spots to curl up in and go into sleep mode. It's such a hard life.

Partly because it would be so easy to just be here with the cats all day and hang out, I make the effort to get out for a bike ride. There are some days, when the weather is looking a bit dodgy, that I am reluctant to venture out, but once I do, the effort is always worth it. It's a simple pleasure, and it makes me happy. What more could one ask?

As of this date I am roughly half way through my stay here on Orcas, and like other visits, I find it a very relaxing place to spend time. The cats are a big part of that. Of course with little Sophie the kitten around, it keeps the other two cats and me more active than before she was here. We seem to have a good time together.

Depending on what the weather looks like this coming week, I may decide to take a ferry over to Lopez or Shaw Island and go for a bike ride, but we'll see. Perhaps it might be easier and just as relaxing to stick with the routine here, and do my daily ride past Crescent Beach. Who knows, with the right tide, and a little more motivation, I might even go digging for some clams.

Happy Trails
Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer


No comments:

Post a Comment