not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Friday, June 7, 2024

MY NEW BONEHEAD FRIEND

 POST # 601

"Should I trust this human?"

I first met Simi last December.  I had been invited to her owner's home for a pre-Christmas get together, along with a host of other people.  I was excited to meet the new member of their family, who at the time was only about three months old.  

When I arrived, and rang on their doorbell, the barking began.  I was greeted at the door by one of Simi's owners, and Simi.  Right from the get go, she decided that she didn't like this new human standing in front of her.  I thought at the time, that her reaction was normal, seeing as this was the first time we had ever met, and I expected that by the end of the evening, I would have made a new bonehead friend.

I was wrong.  

There were probably about twenty people or thereabouts at this get together, but no matter how hard I tried, or even if I ignored her completely, Simi never warmed up to me that night.  She seemed to get along with everyone BUT me.  So much for my dog sitter charm.

Early this year, the owner's asked if I would be their sitter for an upcoming vacation, and of course I accepted, even though I wasn't too sure about how well it would go, in light of my previous encounter with Simi.

I arrived here on June 2nd, and while the owners were still here, Simi was exactly the same as she was when we first met.  If I tried to get close to her, she would bark and run away.  They left the following day, and magically, once they left, the barking stopped.  When it was time to take her out for her first walk with me, she went right along.  I was pleasantly surprised.

The photo at the top of the page was taken the next day, and it shows that she was beginning to trust me.  By June 5th, we had become the best of friends, and now she follows me wherever I go, in or out of the house. It must be the Border Collie in her.  She's herding me from place to place.

So our relationship has come a very long way in a short period of time.  And I am glad for that fact.  It would have been a very long sit, if she had continued to behave like she did when we first met.  But now we are best buddies.

She now looks very happy indeed, and I'm looking forward to the remainder of our time together.





grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer






No comments:

Post a Comment