not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Sunday, January 21, 2024

SNOW, SNOW, and more SNOW

 POST # 583

With my faithful assistant, Toby, it was time once again to get out and shovel more snow.  During this past week, we have been out there most days, trying to keep ahead of it.  The driveway is my main concern, and even though there is a quad with a blade on the front available to do the job, I decided that I needed the exercise, so I grabbed the shovel and got stuck into it.  


While I shovelled, my mind went back in time to my youth.  I used to go to different neighbour's homes, and shovel away, with the reward usually being a twenty-five cent coin for my efforts.  In addition to that, there was always plenty of snow shovelling to do prior to playing a game of ice hockey at the neighbourhood rinks, which were all outdoors back then.  The work here, is a breeze by comparison.


In addition to the driveway, there are a couple of paths on the property to keep clear, and Toby was right there to supervise the operation, and make sure that it was done to his exacting standards. 

After our work was complete, it was time to enjoy a bit of relaxation on the couch.  Toby, being so exhausted from his supervisory work, drifted off to sleep, in order to regain his energy in anticipation of our next snow shovelling excursion.


And finally, as the day drew to a close, the snow began to fall once more.  I have never seen snow flakes look quite like this, so I felt the need to capture them as they were falling.


I'm pretty sure that it isn't the last time that I'll see snow falling during my stay here, but for the moment, it has stopped, and the temperature has warmed up from minus 25 C, to a balmy plus 3 C  since last week.  It now feels like summertime in comparison to when I arrived.


grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

PS.  January 21st is memories of mom day, as this was her birthday.  She's always close to my heart, and especially so today.




No comments:

Post a Comment