not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Tuesday, November 21, 2023

MY MORNING WAKE UP CALL

 POST # 575



On most mornings, the first sound that I hear, is Shadow meowing from the hallway.  It's my morning wake up call and his way of telling me that it's time to get up and feed him.  But on some days, like today, he skipped the meowing part, and silently jumped up onto the bed.  I happened to be awake, and I was lying down on my side.  No problem for Shadow.  He just climbed up on top of me, and settled in.  I guess that he was still happy to sleep somewhat longer, and wait for his breakfast.

This went on for some time, and then I gently rolled over onto my back.  Shadow cooperated, and he was now upon my chest.  This is his favourite position.  From here he can now lick my face,  or any exposed skin with his sandpaper-like tongue, or bite gently upon my beard.  This goes on for as long as I can put up with it, and eventually I pull back the covers, Shadow jumps from the bed, and heads straight for the laundry room, which is where his food dishes are.  Breakfast time for Shadow has finally arrived.

Moments later, I am finally out of bed and doing my duty, attending to his needs.  This feeding process takes place three times per day, but the other two are easy in comparison, as I am already up and moving around.  

He's a pretty laid back furball,  and spending time with him is time well spent.  I'd like to think that maybe he feels the same about the house sitter.  After more than a decade of caring for him, each November,  he knows and can trust me.  It's a good match.

But in a couple of days, our journey together will once again come to a close, as the owners arrive home this Thursday, and I will be on my way.

From that point on, it will be their turn to feed and care for Shadow.  No doubt he will be happy to see them, and just like that, The Thoughtful Wanderer will just become a distant memory for him, at least until this time next year, and with a bit of luck, we will once again have the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks together.

Thanks Shadow.  As always, it's been a great pleasure to spend some precious time with you.


grateful for every breath,


Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer



No comments:

Post a Comment