not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Sunday, May 14, 2023

LEON, MARSHALL and MADONNA aka MOM

 POST # 550


I had some chores to complete over on the mainland earlier this week, so I was up early to catch the ferry.  This photo was taken at 6:07 am on Wednesday, just prior to the ferry departing Nanaimo.  This was the first ferry of the day.  Up until this point, I had never been on the first ferry, but I may want to do this again, as it was almost empty.   The journey was a success, and before long I was on my way back to Nanaimo.

This is a return visit with Leon.  He's a real treat, and I consider myself very fortunate to be able to spend some quality time with him.  The other furball in the photo is Marshall.  Marshall lives across the street, but he seems to spend as much time here as he does with his owner.   The interesting thing about Marshall is his split personality.  I've known plenty of Tabby cats in my time, and they are all extremely friendly.  Marshall, not so much.  He's a bit of a trickster.  Like most Tabby cats, he comes up to you and immediately is rubbing up against your legs.  Of course, the natural tendency of the human, is to bend down to pet the furball.  With Marshall, this is a big mistake, and if you try this, you end up with blood spurting out of your hand.   Marshall draws you in first, and then he attacks you.  It didn't take long for me to learn my lesson.  Nowadays, I still let him rub up against my legs,  but I keep my arms away.  However, he seems to be mellowing out, and occasionally I get to pet him, but certainly not for long.  






Marshall has been very keen on trying to come in the house, and I have managed to keep him out, except for one time early on in the house sit.  Once in, I wasn't exactly sure how I would get him back out without suffering major blood loss.  Thankfully, I had plenty of cat treats, and I managed to slowly get him to the door, munching treats all along the way.  Since that time, I have been extremely vigilant, and he has remained outside.  As I write these words, he's sleeping right next to the door on the back deck, hoping that it will once again open, so that he can attempt another entry.

This just in, after I posted the blog.  So much for Marshall mellowing out.




Yesterday, I informed Mr. Leon that our time would soon be coming to an end.  Below is a photo of his reaction, once he heard the news.



Okay, that's enough furball news for today, but my blog post wouldn't be complete if I didn't acknowledge the fact that today is Mother's Day, 2023.  No doubt, most people are taking time to appreciate their mom today.  I'm quite sure that most of us could relate a story or two regarding our moms, and I am no different.  If I started to write down all of the memories about mom that I am so grateful for, I would be writing all day long.  However, I will mention a very, very early memory, when I was still a young child.  Even to this day, I can recall mom carrying me from the bedroom to the bathroom, so that I could have a late night pee.  She would place me on my feet in front of the toilet, and then turn on the tap and let the water flow into the sink.  It worked.  The sound of the water running, got my "water" running as well, and soon after she would tuck me back into my bed for the night.

I am also grateful to her, for allowing me the freedom to head off on all of the different adventures over my lifetime.  Goodness knows how much worry she suffered from not knowing where her only son was from time to time, but when we would re-unite after months or even years, she never commented on this.  She was just her loving self.  How lucky am I to have had a mom like that?

If I was allowed only one way to describe her, it would be someone with a happy disposition.  This carried through right until her final days.  

Mom died on October 6th, 2007, a few months short of her 92nd birthday.  So I can't just call her up today to wish her a happy Mother's Day and to tell her that I love her, so I will do the next best thing.  As she was a volunteer for decades at various thrift stores (see photo below), I have decided to visit the local thrift store later today in her honour.  Who knows, I may even find a bargain while I am there.  But if I don't find a bargain, I will at least have the memory of her, while I wander from aisle to aisle, and that, in and of itself, will make the visit worthwhile. 


Her happy disposition shines through in this photo

grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer









3 comments:

  1. Great post, great photos, lovely memories. Thanks, amigo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad about the blood loss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much appreciated my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete