not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Sunday, August 21, 2022

THE INTERNET OR ???

POST # 515


Or what, Paul?  What else would you want to be doing with your precious time, other than staring at a screen all day long?   I'm pretty sure that when it comes to the screen time per day ratio, my number is very low indeed.  The main reason is that I don't own a smart phone, and I'm guessing that the majority of the time that most people spend in front of a screen, is a result of their attachment to that device.  It's almost as if it has become a part of the human anatomy.  I realise that I am in the minority when it comes to this device, and I don't mind that one bit.  And even without a smartphone, I still think that I spend too much time staring at a computer screen on most days.  

So I have now decided to cut back on my internet time, and focus on other activities.  I'll still be checking my email, and writing my blog four times a month, but some of those other websites that I have paid attention to in the past, are now being consigned to the dustbin of history.  This new time management agenda, has already had a positive effect on my mental health.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I tend to be a happy person most of the time, a trait I believe that I inherited from my dear old mom, but spending less time in front of a computer screen should help to ensure that I remain a happy guy.  So what should I now do with all of this bonus time on my hands?  I find it very easy to keep myself occupied, whether I am with other people, or on my own.  Yesterday was the annual Soap Box Derby event here in Nanaimo, and I decided to check it out.  It was great to be outside with others, and enjoying this event.



It was fun to watch, but I didn't want to spend my entire day there, so I continued on my bike ride down to the beach, just to hang out,  and enjoy the lovely day.  It's also a good place to interact with the occasional dog, and human.  

The afternoon was rapidly disappearing, and so I saddled up once again for the ten minute ride home.  Ann Marie has a lovely garden, and I'm here at the right time of the season to enjoy some of the food that her garden has on offer.



In addition to all of this lovely fruit, there are numerous flowers, and even the occasional snail to keep me amused.






And of course, let's not forget the most important occupant of this home, Silken the furball.


And it's thanks to Silken, that I could head over to Vancouver for a day trip earlier in the week.  She's happy to sleep all day long, so I doubt if she even noticed that I was away.

It was a quick trip,  leaving on an early ferry, and returning around 8:30 pm, but everything went along as planned as far as ferry/bus connections go, so all in all, it was a great day.  After a quick trip to my storage locker, which was my prime reason for being in Vancouver, I caught up with my former Aquabus workmate, Congo Bob.  He's built a little "resort" directly behind the back dock, so he and I and a few other Aquabusers caught up for a visit.   I'm glad that I made the effort.





I also had time to wander around the market at Granville Island.  What a stark contrast to the last time that I was here.  Back then, the place was deserted, but look at it now.  I guess that the past two years have just been a bad dream.  At least that's what you may think by looking at this crowd.


It was only a short visit for me, as there were still two bus connections to make, in order to be on the ferry that I was planning on boarding, but I arrived with time to spare, and before long we were on our way back to Departure Bay in Nanaimo.  


It was a scorcher of a day weather wise, so it felt good to be out in the sea breeze as we crossed the strait.

So those are just a few of the ways in which The Thoughtful Wanderer can spend some of his new found time.  It certainly beats screen time hands down.   I'm quite sure that I've made a wise decision, and I'm looking forward to more outdoor rewards as time goes on.

grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer







No comments:

Post a Comment