not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Sunday, August 28, 2022

ISLAND HOPPING & PET HOPPING

 POST # 516


This past week I decided to go visit two islands that are both a short ferry ride from Nanaimo.  First on the agenda, was the larger of the two, Newcastle Island. The ferry departed in early afternoon, for the short ride across to the island.

   I was fortunate enough to have a bicycle to use.  Because of the size of the island, it certainly was an asset to have two wheels to roll around on.  The deadly treadly, as the Australians would call a bicycle.


There were plenty of magnificent viewpoints along the way, including this one at the north end of Newcastle,  and when I arrived there, the Horseshoe Bay ferry was just heading out across the strait.


All in all, I had a wonderful day on Newcastle.  I even had time prior to boarding the ferry to Nanaimo, to soak my feet in the ocean.  A great finish to a great day.


With Newcastle Island checked off of my list, it was time to tackle Protection Island.  No treadly this time, but that was fine, as the island isn't very large, and is very easy to wander around on foot.  


A welcoming sign to get my trip off to a good start.  It wasn't too long before I came across this whale's skull in front of someone's property.  A gentle reminder to the shortness of our lives.

The caption above the skull reads as follows:
This be the skull of a gray
That died off Ucluelet one day
Now would you have bet
That a draggerman's net
Might have snagged it for this here display

My journey around Protection Island continued, and when I arrived on the Eastern shore at a place called Smugglers beach, it was time to take a break, and have a light lunch, as I gazed across the water to Gabriola Island.  As you can see, my trusty lacrosse ball which I found on the road in Pleasantville,  New York many years ago, joined me on my journey around the island.  In fact, any time I am out walking, my bouncy ball comes along for the journey, and it's surprising just how many conversations I have struck up with others, when they see me walking along, bouncing this ball.


The day was rapidly disappearing, however there was still enough time to walk to the end of the boat dock, and once again soak my tired feet in the ocean for a while, just prior to the sun setting, and the imminent departure of my ferry back to Vancouver Island. Sitting on a dock is a very comfortable place to be for this old sailor.


I chatted with a few locals on the dock, and they invited me to a dock party next Friday.  I doubt that I will be back, but it was certainly nice of them to offer the invite.


So that completes the island hopping version of today's post, and now it's time to move on to the pet hopping.  After all, this blog is primarily all about my adventures with our four legged friends.

I had to say so long to Silken the furball,  but thanks to her owner, I was referred to a neighbour who was taking a short two day trip to another one of the islands. Her bonehead, who goes by the name of Kane, needed someone to care for him.  Once again, The Thoughtful Wanderer to the rescue.

So long Silken.

And hello Kane.


That rounds things out for the month of August, with my next scheduled post on September 7th.  This year, that happens to be a travel day.  One way or the other, I'll get something posted, but if I don't, at least I have an excuse, and at the very latest, I'll post the following day.  

grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer
















No comments:

Post a Comment