not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Monday, February 14, 2022

DOUG 2.0

 POST #490

                                                                           DOUG

So it's time for round two, with Doug.  Three years have gone by since we last spent time together, and we both seem to have put on a few pounds.  That's a sign of a good pet sitter showing empathy towards the bonehead he is caring for at the moment.  I didn't want Doug to feel like he's the only one who has gained weight in the past three years.  In a reciprocal sign of empathy from Doug, he has recently injured his right front leg, as if he knows that I too, occasionally favour my own right leg.  

Earlier this morning, I happened to be looking at a house sit ad, which was for a single cat located in Vancouver.  While doing so, Doug was settled in on his favourite bed in front of the living room window, and it appeared that he was having a morning nap.

Most house sitting ads have a selection of photos included, and this one was no different.  I quickly scrolled through to have a look.  Plenty of photos of the house, but not one photo of the cat.  It always amazes me when people who are looking for a pet sitter, don't include the most important photo, the one of their pet.

In any event, after viewing all of the photos, and seeing no cat, I said out loud, "Where's the cat?"  And that's all it took for Doug to be up and barking and running around the house, looking for the offending furball.  I had to laugh.  I guess I will need to be more careful with the words I say from now on.  Doug seemed to be rather disappointed with the fact that there was no cat to be seen, inside or out.

Because of his leg injury, poor Doug has been confined mostly to the house and the yard, although I have taken him out for a very short walk in the evening.  The leg seems better since my arrival, so things appear to be going in the right direction.  In the meantime, Doug tries to make the best out of a bad situation.  His preferred plan is to spend as much time as possible sleeping.  He has plenty of choice locations around the house.  The couch is one of is favourite spots.

But being the good watch dog that he is, Doug spends some of his time keeping an eye on things around the neighbourhood.  Nothing gets past him.


I'll be here until mid-March, so there is plenty of time to spend with Doug.  Hopefully his leg will improve enough, so that we can head to the beach, which is one of his choice locations.

Here is a link to the first post I wrote when I took care of Doug three years ago.  It includes a short video.

grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

PS:  Hi to Jim and Martha, and thanks for taking care of your neighbour.


No comments:

Post a Comment