not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Tuesday, December 7, 2021

OUR PRISON-LIKE WORLD

 POST # 481


~

“One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. It’s simply too painful to acknowledge, even to ourselves, that we’ve been taken. Once you give a charlatan power over you, you almost never get it back.” ― Carl Sagan


In spite of the bars on the window, I am not currently in prison, although I would have to say that as time continues to pass, the world appears to become more prison-like, at least from my point of view.

And speaking of prisons, I recently received an email from my sister Rosie, letting me know that my niece Kathryn, currently a resident of Melbourne, Australia, a place I called home for ten years, is planning to leave the country and return to Canada.  She has already changed her flight to an earlier date than first planned,  in the hope that she will be allowed to leave the country and/or not get stranded in Singapore on her journey back here.

I responded to Rosie's email by commenting on the fact that Australia, and Melbourne in particular has become an open air prison these past couple of years.  We choose to differ in opinion on why that may be the case.  Let's just say that after reading her response, it's pretty clear to me that we are certainly not in agreement.

As each day passes, more and more information is coming out that strongly suggests that all of the measures that have been put in place in one country after the next, including lock downs, travel restrictions, mandatory masks and vaccines etc.  probably should have never taken place, or at the very least they should now be over and done with.  Yet, restrictions and mandates appear to be ramping up, not easing off.  If I want to continue to eat (live), I have to wear a mask at the grocery store.

As to just how we got here, well there could be plenty of reasons.  I will include a link to a recent review of Robert F. Kennedy Jr's recent book.  


If one takes the time to read through that review, it may answer a few questions as to why we are where we are in late 2021.  And if you haven't been following this side of the story up to now, after reading that review, you may find yourself becoming quite angry at what we've all been subjected too over the past almost two years.  

I recently thought of a book that I read more than a decade ago.  The book was written in 1841 by Charles Mackay, and is titled, "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds".  In some respects it seems like that is exactly what we are experiencing now.  And even if you disagree with what I've written about on today's post, I can highly recommend this book, that is, if you can find a copy.  

When I wrote my post back on  October 28th covering this topic, http://wherespaulnow.blogspot.com/2021/10/finding-common-ground.html, I thought that it would be my last time doing so.  I guess I was wrong.  My sister's email encouraged me to write this today, so thanks Rosie, for the inspiration.

Of course, it seems to be only us human animals that are mostly affected by the current state of affairs around the world, so it's nice to know that there are other creatures on the planet that are just going about their normal days, and having fun, like playing in the mud.


I came across this lovely female during my recent house sit on Vancouver Island.  She lives at an appropriately named farm.




grateful for every breath,


Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer

No comments:

Post a Comment