not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Thursday, January 21, 2021

A MEMORABLE DAY

 POST # 439

 

For most Americans, yesterday will probably be remembered for what happened in Washington DC.    There is a new President now in charge.  Of course there are some of us that believe that the evidence of just who is in charge was displayed in a rather brutal way a very long time ago, on November 22, 1963, in Dallas, Texas.  So there is a new "boss" in town, but I for one find it impossible to believe that he is actually running the show.*** See quote at the bottom of the page.

 Even former President Jimmy Carter would agree.

https://theintercept.com/2015/07/30/jimmy-carter-u-s-oligarchy-unlimited-political-bribery/

And this as well. "Yes, we're corrupt." A list of politicians that admit that money controls politics.

https://theintercept.com/2015/07/30/politicians-admitting-obvious-fact-money-affects-vote/ 


For the Thoughtful Wanderer, yesterday however will be remembered for an entirely different reason.  Let me tell the story.

Every day, Mary and I like to take Dora-dog for a walk, and yesterday was no different. We decided to walk around "the loop" which takes us along the main road in the direction of the golf course and the marina.  It was a cool day, so I decided to put on a warm hat prior to our departure.  The outbound journey was routine, with Dora-dog stopping every now and again to sniff something on the ground and occasionally to be entertained by one squirrel or another.  All was well as we rounded the corner to head down the hill to the marina, and then start our return journey home.

At this point I was beginning to overheat, so I decided to remove my hat.  Being right-handed, I removed my hat with that hand.  I had Dora-dog's  leash wrapped around my left wrist at the time.   I wanted to put my hat in my empty left pocket, and in order to facilitate this, I needed to briefly remove the leash from my left hand and transfer it to my right hand.  At the precise moment that I was doing so, a cat ran across the street ahead of us.  And that was all it took.  Dora-dog was off, running down the hill after her intended target.  They both headed  down a side road and we lost sight of them.  Mary went one way, and I went another trying to find her, but without success.  Now what?  Eventually, I decided to walk along the road that I had last seen Dora-dog head down.  I found myself in a parking lot and I walked past a parked car heading back towards Shelter Bay Drive where Mary was standing.  Still no dog.  I turned around to head back towards the parked car, and much to my surprise and relief, there she was.  Dora-dog was standing next to the parked car, with her leash firmly anchored under its rear left tire.  It wasn't too hard to put the picture together once I saw that.  The cat must have run under the car, with Dora-dog in hot pursuit.  Thankfully, that is where her journey came to an abrupt end.

It took me the better part of ten minutes to pull the leash free from under the tire. With that task finally completed, Dora-dog and I headed back home.  Mary had gone home on the other road in the hope of finding Dora-dog.  We all arrived home at the same time.  Mary was pretty upset about the whole affair, and so was I.  The bottom line is that we all made it home safely.  It was just a simple case of bad timing and a stray cat.

So as I mentioned at the start, yesterday was memorable for most Americans because it was inauguration day, but for The Thoughtful Wanderer, it was memorable for the Dora-dog affair.  Thankfully I was taught a new lesson by my favourite bonehead, about making sure that I have a firm grip on her leash at all times.

                               RESTING AFTER  HER BIG ADVENTURE
 


grateful for every breath,


Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer

***If you identify as a conservative and continue to believe that your prime enemies are ordinary leftists, or you identify as a leftist and believe your prime enemies are Republican citizens, you will fall perfectly into the trap set for you. Namely, you will ignore your real enemies, the ones who actually wield power at your expense: ruling class elites, who really do not care about “right v. left” and most definitely do not care about “Republican v. Democrat” — as evidenced by the fact that they fund both parties.                                                          

  Glenn Greenwald

   Pulitzer Prize Journalist



PS: And finally, my January 21st post wouldn't be complete without mentioning Madonna, aka my dear mom.  If she were alive today, she would have just celebrated her 105th birthday.

                                                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment