not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Friday, December 21, 2018

MORE YUKON THOUGHTS

POST # 339



As I write these words with the assistance of the battery power still remaining on my device, I am without power for the third time in a week.  It happened a week ago, then yesterday afternoon for a few hours, and then again last night about 7pm.  It's now just after 8am on December 21st, and the power is still out.  As a result, the pump that had been supplying me with water is also not functioning, so I am without running water as well.  It's a simple lesson to illustrate what most of us take for granted in our comfortable existence.

So last week it was the clogged woodstove, and now this.  The fun never ends.  The resident critters appear to be unaffected by the power outage.  As long as the food keeps coming, and the place is warm, they are content.  They don't concern themselves with things like the internet, and that's probably a good lesson for the housesitter.  These days I find that I do most of my reading online, and now I've been forced to crack open a book, and read by candlelight.


  This used to be the normal thing to do, especially when I lived at my little shack in the woods back in the Yukon.

And speaking of the Yukon, my sister Gerry sent me a photo of the inside of my cabin I called Snug.  The photo was taken years after I had moved, but I happened to be back during a winter housesit at a friend's place across the highway in Bear Creek.  I thought that it might be fun to go for a walk and check out my old home.  By the looks of it, someone or something had managed to get inside and totally trash the place.  I was lucky to have lived at Snug, and to this day, it remains at the very top of my list, as the best place that I have ever lived, and I've had plenty of places to compare it with over the years.
So the waiting game will continue regarding the power outage, and I'll just go with the flow.  The woodstove is pumping out the heat, and I've got a pot of water warming on its surface which will provide me with my morning coffee, a bit behind schedule, but much more appreciated than usual.



happy, accepting & grateful,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer
PS: The power came back on this afternoon after about 20 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment