not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

HOW MANY DAYS SINCE...

POST # 299

As of today, I have been on the planet for a total of 23,001 days. Funny, I don't feel a day older than 23,000. :-)

My life has been one interesting journey, to be sure, and I am thankful everyday, that I have had the opportunity to spend all of those days.  Of course, like in most lives, some days have been shall we say, less than perfect, but for the most part, I have absolutely nothing to complain about.  So let's have a look at some of the changes over time, that LIFE has had on this wandering soul.

30 days old

Just out of the starting gate, and so far so good.  It's difficult to predict at this early stage, what will be in store as the days pass.


1,827 days

The above number is based on my date of birth, so I will make the assumption that this photo was taken on that date, but of course, after all this time, it's only a guess. At least the month and year are accurate.   With the lipstick and dress, it's hard to guess which direction my life will go from this point, although if one looks very closely, there is a little red devil t-shirt under the dress, so that might tell you something.




SUMMER OF 1976
Approximately 7,794 days, hanging out on a beach in the BC interior with girlfriend Lindsay, and work friend Wayne.





approximately 9,191 days

This photo was taken sometime during the month of May, in the year 1980, so I have used the first of the month as my estimated date.  It was  another very hot and humid day in the city of New Delhi, India.  My travelling companion at the time was Dick (he now goes by Richard) Wyman, another Calgarian that I had met some months earlier on the island of Bali, in Indonesia.  We're drinking a "fruit beer" in an effort to cool down.  This  roadside stall was just down the road from our bargain basement hotel, and this little ritual had become a daily event.


9,254 days

I know the exact date that the above photo was taken. This was the day after I had arrived back home in Calgary, after being gone for the better part of three years, having travelled once around the world, in a westerly direction. The date is July, 3rd, 1980.  I decided to shave off my beard, one half at a time, just for a laugh.  I had departed India on Friday, June 13th, so it's just over two weeks later, and my culture shock was profound at this early stage.






Approximately 21,647 days, on Cannon Beach, Oregon with my friend, Guy. A great day to be alive.




22,519 days, house sitting in Sudden Valley, Washington for my friend Mary.


22,839 days

Enjoying some late afternoon sun at English Bay, in Vancouver on day number 22,839. It's nice to still have some hair this late in the journey, but the colour of the beard better reflects the passage of time.


And finally, earlier this morning, after arriving at my next house sit, in Cordova Bay, BC prior to taking the owner to the airport.



*23,001 days



  I guess the next big milestone is 24,000 and it would be grand to get there, but these days, my time horizon is day to day. By the way, that 24,000th day will occur on November 16th, 2020.  Whatever day will be my final one, I can say with all sincerity, that it has been a wonderful journey so far, with great memories too numerous to measure.

OK, that's enough narcissism for one day.  Time to focus on Tina, the resident furball in charge.




living a life of simple acceptance,

Paul  
The Thoughtful Wanderer


*

Alternative time units

23,001 days can be converted to one of these units:
  • 1,987,286,400 seconds
  • 33,121,440 minutes
  • 552,024 hours
  • 23,001 days
  • 3285 weeks and 6 days

No comments:

Post a Comment