not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

MEG RYAN and DESPERATE SITUATIONS REQUIRE DESPERATE MEASURES

POST # 288

Earlier this year, when I was in Bend, Oregon, I was walking back to my house sit location when two young lads on bicycles went riding past me.  I'm guessing that they were probably around 10 years old, give or take a year.  Anyhow, as they slowly rolled by, they happened to be in a conversation that I  overheard.  It went as follows:

Boy #1: "Desperate situations require desperate measures."
Boy # 2: "What?"
Boy #1: "Desperate situations require desperate measures."
Boy # 2: "What does that mean?"
Boy #1:  "I don't know."


Well I can't tell you just how much that made me chuckle, and I've told this story to a few others that also enjoyed a belly laugh.  Boy #1 and Boy #2 have no idea how much laughter has resulted from their little chat.

The reason I mention it in this blog post is that it involves a tooth of mine.  It wasn't really a desperate situation, and the measure which followed wasn't either, but here is the story in any event.
Some time ago, a filling dropped out of one of my teeth, and I managed to put off doing anything about it until yesterday. It didn't hurt, so it was easy to delay the inevitable trip to the dentist.   But as the tooth began to turn grey, I decided that it was time to act, in spite of the non desperate nature of the situation.
Having been to Belize recently, and knowing how reasonably priced dental work is,  I decided to book another visit to see my friends Guy and Pauline, and while there, get my tooth repaired.

So I'm back in Belize for the third time this year, and yesterday I met Meg Ryan, or as she is known around these parts, Dr. Megan Ryan, my new dentist.   She did a brilliant job for a fraction of the charge in Canada, and as I mentioned to her when I was there, it was the first time in my entire life that I was so relaxed, that I could have fallen asleep in the dentist's chair. That's how gentle she was. I'd certainly go back for another visit in the future.



BEFORE

AFTER





So with that little chore out of the way, I can relax, and continue enjoying my Belize visit. 

Living a life of simple acceptance,

Paul, 
The Thoughtful Wanderer



1 comment:

  1. Guy Fawkes is alleged to have said to King James I on 6 November 1605: "Desperate diseases require desperate measures."
    but it is attributed to Hippocrates years and years before...
    ...still wondering where the boys must have heard it...perhaps discussing the current political climate.

    ReplyDelete