not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Sunday, August 14, 2016

BIRTHDAY ROAD SIGN, GUY IN PORT TOWNSEND, THE BELLINGHAM RENDEZVOUS AND ICE CREAM AS WELL

POST # 226





Yesterday afternoon I drove from here in Port Townsend, south to Olympia.  I'll get to why in a moment, but first the road sign.  Meandering along highway 101, I came across this mileage signpost. Seeing as my destination was Olympia, at first glance I only noticed the number 55, the year of my birth, but then I saw 33 as well, which is the day and month of my birth.  What are the odds??  It's just one of those funny coincidences in life.  Naturally I had to stop, get out of the truck and take a photo, as I'm pretty sure that I'll never pass this way again.

OK, now on to the reason for my journey.  My friend Guy is on another speaking tour of the Pacific Northwest, and I was asked to help out with some of his travel arrangements, and a place to stay for the night as well as being the m/c for his lecture last night.

We travelled directly back here to my housesit location after the lecture was completed.  It was rather late, and we barely had enough time to gobble down some ice cream prior to crashing for the night.

Then it was an early start this morning so that we could get to the ferry on time.  I cooked up some of my famous fruit oatmeal(FROATMEAL), and before too long we were on our way in the fog.  There was time to shoot a quick video prior to leaving.




It was a "pea souper" all the way across to Coupeville which takes about 30 minutes, but a bit longer this morning due to the fog.  Seeing as there was nothing to look at, Guy had a chance to have a second breakfast of homemade  apple pie, that my friend Mary had baked.



What, no ice cream???

 By the time we got close to interstate 5, the fog had disappeared, and we continued our journey north to Bellingham in order to rendezvous with Guy's next driver, an American lady named Christyne (with a y) who lives in Pemberton B. C.
How strange, a Canadian in America, handing off Guy to an American in Canada.  It has an almost palindromish feel to it, but maybe that's a bit of a stretch, unlike the sign I pointed out to Guy last night on the highway which is a true palindrome.  The sign reads:

NEVERODDOREVEN

This Canadian/American hand off wasn't odd and even, it was just odd; not the people involved but the Canadian/American thing.  Here we are in front of Trader Joe's just prior to going our separate ways.  Please note, that the missing ice cream from the previous apple pie photo has now magically appeared in this one.




So the Americans are now in Canada, and the lone Canadian is back here in Port Townsend.  It's been a rather long 24 hours, without much interruption from sleep.  Sleep, who needs sleep?  
And even though it was only a short visit, it was very worthwhile.  Our time was well spent, unlike some of the people I see on a daily basis now, roaming around with their "devices" and playing Pokemon Go.  This mindless/mind numbing activity is depicted in the cartoon below.




Finally, to round out today's blog, here is a photo of a bumper sticker I saw this past week.  It has a distinct "Bernie Sanders" look to it but the words really cracked me up.  Seems like pretty good advice when I think about all the hype regarding this upcoming farce which they call a presidential election.  Maybe the cartoon characters above, aren't really chasing Pokemon Go, but are instead looking at the image below on their smart phones.



living a life of profound acceptance,
Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

PS: Due to the fact that I am writing this while tired, I plead guilty to any spelling and/or grammatical errors





No comments:

Post a Comment