not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Thursday, April 28, 2016

SO LONG PORT TOWNSEND and PETAL

POST # 212

It's departure day today from Port Townsend.  Petal's owners arrive back this evening from their journey to Arizona.  That should make the furball happy I suppose.  Petal and I have had an enjoyable, although short time together, and I will be glad to add her to my long list of favourite furballs.  It only took about a day for her to feel comfortable with me.  She is under the spell of the cat whisperer.  Here she is getting ready to settle down for an afternoon nap.

Once she had decided that the napping location (my lap) was just the way that she wanted it, she soon settled into a deep sleep.



I don't spend the entire day inside, napping with Petal because it's an interesting neighbourhood to wander around in.  Just over the back fence is a stately old house which was just begging to have its photo taken.


I suppose that it was constructed around the same time as the house I am in, however the original owners must have lived somewhat "higher on the hog".  
After returning home, I noticed some flowers in the front yard which I have never seen before.  These are white bleeding hearts.  Apparently bleeding hearts come in a variety of colours.  Who knew??


A visit to Port Townsend wouldn't be complete without going down to the marina and checking out some of the boats.  It's a boating sort of place.  I found my favourite sailboat moored at one of the marinas.  It's a Flicka named "Scout".


 Wooden boats are also popular here, and this little gem was sitting in a yard next to the marina.  It took an artist to build this craft.


As I continued my meandering around the docks I came across these two happy boneheads waiting patiently while their owner was busy in the restroom nearby.


And not very far away from them was this bicycle which looks to be well past its used by date.  I enjoy working on bikes, however this one would be way beyond my pay grade.


After returning home, this little fellow came over to the bird feeder, and while Petal watched through the window, I was fortunate enough to get a photo.  There are plenty of birds here,  but this one was without a doubt the most colourful bird I had the pleasure of observing.  According to the bird book, it's an American Goldfinch, the state bird of Washington.





The Washington State ferry arrives later this afternoon to float me away,  back to the mainland.  My next blog is scheduled for May 7th, however I will be on a road trip to/from California during that time, assisting my friend Guy on his upcoming speaking tour, so I may or may not be able to find a wifi connection to write, although I will try my best.

Happy Trails,
Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer


No comments:

Post a Comment