not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Sunday, December 28, 2014

2014- COMES TO A CLOSE

POST # 150  (Please note- I may not have access to a computer for my Jan 7th blog)

When I began writing this blog back in October 2011, I had no idea at all how long I would keep up with it.  But here it is, almost the end of 2014 and I'm still at it.

It's certainly been an adventure, perhaps even more of an adventure than I would have liked, considering my March 4th, 2012 escapade of tumbling down a mountain and breaking my leg.  That might have been the end of the blog right then and there, after barely five months.  Thankfully, my *brain and fingers weren't injured, so the key pecking continues. (*With what I write sometimes, some will think that I did injure my brain.)

My travels in the last three years have taken me to a variety of locations in Canada and the USA, and now I find myself back in Australia after an absence of almost six years.  When I joined the housesitting website, HOUSECARERS.COM, back in 2011, one of the main reasons for doing so was to be able to apply for housesits in Australia.  As the company is based here, a vast percentage of their housesits, are located in Australia.  However,  somehow I got into a groove back in North America, and kept getting asked back to places I'd housesat previously.  Finally, it took an email from an old friend here, offering me the opportunity to care for his place, to finally convince me to make the jump across the pond.  That email, and my view that long distance flying will be something that is coming to and end in the future, was enough to convince me that now was the time to visit.

So far, I'm glad to be here, and it's a nice break from the winter weather that is now engulfing the northern hemisphere.  The Christmas crazy season is over, and life here has settled into a typically lazy Aussie summer.  I'll soak it up while I can.

On this date back in 2011, I was hunkered down in the Yukon for the winter, taking care of three Border Collies, by the names of Skidder, Breaker, and Roxie, and two cats, Dusty and Trouble. There have been plenty of miles travelled since then,  and many wonderful animals and a few humans to keep me company all along the way.

This housesit has no pets, however, if I need a dog fix, there are a couple of old dogs next door to keep me company, plenty of bird life around, and just out back a few kilometres I can always find a couple of kangaroos to verify that I am in Australia.
I'll try and upload some photos/videos later today.



Happy Trails,
Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer


HOPPERS                                                                             BIRDSONG AT MY PLACE



CHOCKO AND CHLOE













No comments:

Post a Comment