not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Friday, August 22, 2014

BACK IN BEND AGAIN

POST # 133

Yesterday, around 5pm I arrived back in Bend, after my second two day drive marathon in a week. Total miles driven was 2810 (4522kms). It was a long journey but it went smoothly for the most part, and I am pleased that I went.



THE OPEN ROAD

Spending more time at the Mud Hut with my friends Guy and Sheila, and Mike and Karen was time well spent. I am grateful to have them as friends, and I am also grateful to have the ability and the means (at least for now) to make the trip. Pleasant memories of time spent there are now firmly lodged in my brain.



GIANT SEQUOIA TREE NEAR THE MUD HUT



Last Tuesday, was the "Nature Bats Last" radio show, on which I was a guest. Aside from some early technical glitches, it went well for the most part. The show will be archived at prn.fm for future listening. I checked the website this morning but it still hasn't been posted, however it should be there prior to next Tuesday.

It was difficult to say goodbye to these new friends of mine. We really haven't known each other very long, but I feel like I've known them my whole life. There is a connection that goes beyond just words, and it is wonderful. Precious moments with precious individuals.

The drive was long, however with my active brain, it was anything BUT boring. I love to be alone with my thoughts. But during the times that I wanted a distraction, the am/fm radio was there to surf through the channels. However in 2014 America, the selection of quality programming is slim indeed. Plenty of channels, but not plenty of content. One has the choice of basically three options, music, religion, or right wing talk show hosts, telling the population, that Muslims are taking over the world and they must be stopped. One guy yesterday even had the solution to America's problem. He suggested reopening all those abandoned factories in Detroit, tool them up to make more bombs and then go and "bomb the hell" out of those nasty people over there in Iraq and Syria. They're the problem, not America, was the consensus. And so, the mainstream media helps to promote the war machine. I could only listen for a while before I had to turn it off.

Driving through Nevada yesterday, I came across this sign.



It's just so comforting to know that they are testing nuclear devices for peaceful purposes. Really?? Nuclear=peaceful? Hmmmmmm!!!!!!!



So I am back here in Bend for about a week, and then it's off to Vancouver Island for my second visit with Piper the cat in Nanaimo. I'm looking forward to that.

Happy trails,

Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer







No comments:

Post a Comment