not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Friday, March 14, 2014

ONE CHILLED OUT BONEHEAD

POST # 111


WOW, where has the week gone? Here I go writing another blog and I've had the great pleasure of spending another week with my new best friend, Austin. As the title says, he is one laid back, or chilled out bonehead. We're the perfect combination.

Austin and I have now had time to settle into a very comfortable routine and we both seem to be happy about that. We spend plenty of time together, except when he goes off for his solo wanderings along the river, but aside from that, or when I ride to town, we are together, and I like that, and by all appearances, he does too.

A typical day begins with a sleep in, but after I get up, he's still in his bed. In fact he's the first dog I've ever cared for, that doesn't bound into action as soon as it knows that the human is awake. Austin gets up when he's good and ready, and sometimes that can be much later than me. This is the first indication of just how chilled out he really is. Eventually though, we are both outside checking out the new day ahead. We like to spend time down by the river which is immediately out front of the house. There are plenty of things for Austin to sniff at, while I relax on a log and watch the Vedder river flow rapidly by. One day earlier in the week, I could hear him barking up a storm, down by the river. It was not something he normally does, so I decided to go back there and see if he was ok. He was, but something had aroused his senses, and he was totally focused on tracking down whatever it was he was searching for. Once I knew that he was alright, I was happy to leave him be, and head back to the house. Eventually he always shows up at the front door, and with a single "woof" he signals to me that he's ready to come back in, and with any luck, get a doggy treat for his effort.

Austin and I seem to find time each afternoon, to have a nap together on the living room floor. He seems to enjoy the company of a human beside him and it's a pretty relaxed way to spend a half hour or so.

Eventually, another day comes to an end. Time to go outside once more so that he can do his business, and then we retire to the bedroom. And so it goes.

The sun is now showing itself between the clouds, and so I had better get outside and take a wander to the river with my chilled out bonehead friend, Austin.

Happy Trails,

Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer




No comments:

Post a Comment