not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Monday, May 21, 2012

RAIN-O AND A SURPRISE

POST #27 Raino,Raino Fall upon the earth again and make it good. Make it cool and fill the river, fill the pool, quench the thirst of every fool and every sage and every sour soul who's lost so much he doesn't know his need. 1971 song by Chilliwack When I awoke this morning there was the sound of rain falling on the skylights here, and it is a sound that I have hardly heard since arriving here in Victoria on April 27th. This old song by Chilliwack began to play in my head as a result, and so that's what ends up on the blog today. Last September when I had my sailboat for sale, I had many people come to look at it, one of whom was Bill Henderson, the lead singer of Chilliwack. As much as he appeared to like it, he chose not to buy the boat, and it eventually was sold to someone else. Too bad, maybe he could have written a song about the Fortune 30 sailboat, but it was not to be. So today we have to be satisfied with Rain-O and all the other hits which that band produced all those years ago. Yikes, it makes me realise how old I am getting now. So yes, it's a grey rainy day here, which really isn't a big deal and in fact, in my current condition it actually makes it easier to be stuck inside. There has been a long string of sunny days prior to this, and if I had been healthy, I would have been putting many miles on my faithful bicycle, but alas, that is a dream for the future. I had to be content with sitting out on the deck and soaking up the sunshine that way. At least I had that. And I made a point of getting out there every day even if it was for a short period, as it was a good opportunity to take the bandages and half cast off of my leg and let the sunshine do some healing. On Wednesday this week I go to see the doctor and have my leg x-rayed to find out if the bones are healing properly and if so, then it won't be too long before I can begin to start walking again. Hopefully the doctor will be happy with what he sees then. Now getting back to the rain issue. It is easy to complain about the rain, especially when you live out here on the west coast, as we do get our fair share of the stuff, and maybe that is what motivated Bill Henderson to write the song in the first place. Anyhow, we all need water so I guess it's not a good idea to complain. Perhaps a spell in the desert would solve that issue. Now on to other news in the life of the travelling housesitter. Two days ago I received a surprise email from one of the owners of the place I am currently housesitting, and the email informed me that she would be arriving home yesterday, about 2 weeks ahead of schedule. This was quite a shock initially however I am sure that we can come up with some arrangement that suites both parties, or at least I hope so. This is the very first time this has ever happened and so it came as a total surprise to me. Hopefully later today, we can come up with a solution to this situation. I had made all my plans on the assumption that I would be leaving here on June 2nd, and I have booked all my travel arrangements accordingly, but now that might all have to change. But it is what it is, and so now it's just a matter of coming up with a solution to the problem that will work for both parties. If I had two good legs, I would probably just take the opportunity to go for a bike/camping holiday, but in my current condition, that is obviously not possible. One final note. A few weeks ago, blogger.com upgraded this site to quote "make it easier" to navigate around. Now that might have been the case if you're 20 something, but it isn't for me. But one thing I have noticed since then, is that even though I type my blog and do paragraph breaks, the final result just comes out like one long paragraph and I really don't know what the solution to that is. If there is anyone out there in blogger land who can solve my problem I would love to hear from you. By this time next week, I am not sure where I will be, but maybe there will be some more interesting stories to tell, because lately I don't feel like I am coming up with much good content. Maybe I need to go break some more bones so that I have something interesting to talk about. But if that's what it takes, then I guess it will have to pass, as I think I've broken enough bones for one lifetime. That's all for now folks, all the best, Paul The Thoughtful Wanderer

No comments:

Post a Comment