not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Monday, May 14, 2012

FAR FROM SUBURBIA

POST # 26 Sitting here smack dab in the middle of the suburban sprawl which has become the way of life for so very many people in our world, my mind is focused on a more rural existence. The housesitting that I do these days has offered me the opportunity to move around from suburban to rural life and as a result I get the chance to compare the two and work out which is a better choice for me going forward. And even though for the remainder of this year a substantial portion of my time will be spent in the suburban environment, it has become quite clear to me now that as I move forward towards the rest of my life, the better choice for me will be to live in a rural area in a smaller and close knit community. I know this feeling has been with me for some time now, probably starting when I was fortunate enough to spend a few years living in Dawson City and more specifically at my little cabin, Snug, nestled on the banks of the Klondike river in the Yukon. The wide open spaces, the fresh air, and more than anything else, the peacefullness that a rural life offers have become qualities of life that I treasure now, more than the convenience that the current suburban lifestyle offers. My life began in suburbia, and if it wasn't for the fact that I chose to go travelling early on, I would quite likely be still living in the same city and maybe even the same suburb that I grew up in. But something inside compelled me to go and seek out the bigger world far away from my roots. Where that sense of adventure comes from is a mystery to me. Perhaps I come by it honestly, as my long ago ancestors sailed away from Fecamp in France way back in 1667 en route to North America, settling in the village of Trois Rivieres Quebec. Now that really would have been an adventure, knowing that you were leaving your birthplace and all that was familiar, and heading to a totally unknown destination. There were no glossy travel brochures back in 1667 expounding on the many sights to see in Trois Rivieres. The two brothers who made that journey would have been on the adventure of a lifetime with absolutely no idea how it was all going to turn out. And perhaps that was one of the big attractions, the unknown that awaited them in the new world. And I suppose that is one of the things that attracts me to the wandering life that I have chosen. I just find it much more interesting NOT knowing what's ahead. And I guess in light of recent events regarding my leg, I am happy to not know what is ahead, otherwise I probably wouldn't have gotten out of bed on March 4th. Another aspect, and maybe the best aspect of all this wandering around has been the opportunity to meet so many interesting people and make some very good friendships along the way, which brings me around to the topic I started off with about living a rural life. I was fortunate to spend time with friends this weekend. A couple of them own a farm just up island from here in the Cowichan valley, which is a very pleasant rural setting. I spent a couple of days there last year not long after they had made the move, and it was enjoyable to be out working with ones hands and breathing in the country air. My other friends that visited will be moving to the island of Crete in Greece, later this year. They have now had enough of the urban life and are looking forward to their new life in a much more rural area. I feel that both sets of friends are on the right track for the future, living closer to the land and closer to where their food comes from. I think that as more time passes, this idea of being food self sufficient will become even more important. And even if it wasn't an issue, it just seems to be a much more healthy and therefore less stressfull lifestyle. Perhaps next year I will be able to find a housesit in Crete and get the opportunity to see how things are working out for my friends. Back here at my suburban ranch, the cats and I are enjoying the summer like weather, and we all take the time to sprawl out and have a nap in the nearest sunbeam when the opportunity arrises. My leg continues to improve and I am almost pain free, which puts a smile on my face. I even had a dream this past week in which I was walking on my "new" leg which maybe is a positive sign for the future. We'll see. And now that it is late afternoon, and the sun has swung around to the west, it's a great time to head upstairs and find those cats and that sunbeam and have an afternoon nap. All this writing has made me sleepy. Happy trails, Paul The Thoughtful Wanderer

No comments:

Post a Comment