not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Saturday, May 14, 2022

PUKA

 POST # 502

                                                                     PUKA



The owners told me that their dog's name is Hawaiian, and they have a Hawaiian-English dictionary to prove it.  Of course I had to look it up, and of all the many definitions of Puka that are available, I couldn't find the word "bark" amongst the list.  Barking seems to be Puka's favourite pastime.  So I decided to look up the word "bark" in the English-Hawaiian section, and one of the Hawaiian words for bark is "Haehae" so maybe I'll re-name her that for the time that I am here.

When I arrived three days ago, all of her barking was directed at me, a total stranger.  It took less than a day for that problem to be resolved, as she has now fallen under the spell of the resident dog whisperer.  However, she has plenty of other things to bark at in the meantime.

Puka will be turning nine months old on May 22nd, so she's the youngest bonehead that I have ever taken care of, so far.  I have to be extremely vigilant, because she likes to grab hold of anything that she can get at.  Just a few minutes ago, it was my glasses case.  I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth, and the next thing I know, she's walking by with the case in her mouth.  Thankfully, there are plenty of dog treats here to tempt her with, and that usually solves the problem.  Yesterday it was my socks, and tomorrow who knows what she'll grab onto.  

It has been a steep learning curve so far, at least for me.  Mind you, I'm probably teaching her a few things as well, so we should both be a lot smarter by the time this house sit is completed later this month.

When we are out on our daily walks, I have to stay completely focused on where her head is, because if I don't, she'll have some new object in her mouth.  It's amazing just how much trash there is around, and she's very good at finding it.

By this time next week, we should have a much better understanding of each other, and that should make our journey together easier.  And maybe, just maybe, she'll have less to bark about by then.



grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer





No comments:

Post a Comment