not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Sunday, March 28, 2021

SKIDDER-THE GENTLE GIANT

POST # 448

                           BREAKER              SKIDDER                  ROXIE
 

I received an email this past week which made me sad.  Skidder, the sole survivor of the trio featured in the above photo died on March 20th.  He was almost blind, needed help to even stand up, and he had numerous tumours, so as my friend stated, it was time.  John the vet helped with Skidder's exit from the planetary stage.  About twenty years ago, I assisted John when he had to euthanize a dog named Ringo.  That wasn't an enjoyable experience, and I hardly even knew Ringo.  I can only imagine what my friends had to go through.

So now, all they are left with is memories of Skidder, Breaker and Roxie.  At least no one can take those away.  Happy memories can provide at least some comfort to an aching heart.

 

I have my own collection of  memories of Skidder and his siblings, as I had the good fortune to house sit for my friends on more than one occasion.  They all had different personalities to be sure.  Skidder was the gentle giant as far as I was concerned.  I think my favourite memory is the one of taking all three out back of the house onto the tailings piles, which in mid-winter are covered in snow, and upon finding a good location to sit down, we would. In the stillness of a Yukon winter night, we would gaze at the sky, and just enjoy each moment.  Pure quiet.  Pure bliss.

That was many years ago now, and on my visit late last year, I had the opportunity to see old Skidder for one last time.  He certainly appeared to be struggling, and in spite of his deteriorating condition, he still remained the  gentle giant.  Always there to receive affection from any human near enough to him to offer it.  No doubt he would have been in much pain, even then, and yet he still managed to provide comfort for his human companions.  Gentle giant indeed.

                                                     OLD SKIDDER

I decided to include a couple of videos as well.  More pleasant memories of Skidder and the rest of the gang (including his mother, Becka), getting ready to go for a walk, and having fun out in the snow.  Pleasant memories to be tucked away into a little corner of one's brain, to be re-lived whenever the mood strikes.  Thanks Skidder.




grateful for every breath,


Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer


No comments:

Post a Comment