not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Sunday, January 28, 2018

TOTAL SUPER BLUE BLOOD

POST # 296

***(ECLIPSE UPDATE SEE BELOW)


Well, I missed it.  Mind you, I do have a great excuse.  It happened on March 31st, 1866, and that was about 89 years before I arrived on the scene.  In fact, it was even 50 years before my parents were born.  So to reiterate, I missed it, but this time maybe I'll get lucky.  Lucky with what?  This coming week on Wednesday, January 31st and for the first time since 1866, we get to experience a total lunar eclipse which will be happening during a super moon, a blood moon, and a blue moon all wrapped up in a neat celestial package, for our viewing entertainment.

There are numerous websites to visit to explain the phenomenon, but here is just one from an article in RT News.

https://www.rt.com/usa/417157-supermoon-blue-blood-lunar-eclipse/


Here, on the West coast of North America, the opportunity for a great view will be possible, albeit rather early in the morning.  Viewing this event will be dependent on local weather conditions, which really is the only variable in the equation.  I plan to set my alarm, and head outside to watch.  It will also be a good opportunity to see just how many other crazy people there are in the local neighbourhood.

I've only had the pleasure of viewing one other total lunar eclipse (minus the super, blood and blue characteristics), and it just so happens that I was in the same city then, as I am at the moment, here in Nanaimo B.C.  That previous eclipse happened on October 28th, 2004, and I can still remember sitting down by the seashore, and marvelling at what was taking place in the night sky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_2004_lunar_eclipse


The forecast for Nanaimo for this coming Wednesday  is,

Wed
31 Jan
Cloudy
C

Cloudy

so the odds aren't in my favour, but I'll be outside looking up, just in case there happens to be a clear patch of night sky.

 I mentioned all of this exciting information to the resident furball, Silken, and this was her reaction:



I guess that Silken has more important things to think about then some silly lunar eclipse.  This is probably what she'll be doing on Wednesday morning, and being the conscientious pet sitter that I am, I certainly wouldn't want to disturb her precious sleep.


***January 31st at a very early hour.
So I got up around 4:30am and it was worth it, because the sky was clear, and the eclipse had already started.  I stood outside in the cold and watched the event unfold, which looked much more amazing than in this attached photo.  No doubt the neighbours were wondering about the weirdo standing outside in the cold at that hour of the day.  But I'm glad I made the effort.





living a life of simple acceptance,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

PS: Here's where The Thoughtful Wanderer was two years ago today.














No comments:

Post a Comment