not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Friday, October 14, 2016

RAIN BOMBS, WIND GUSTS and a POWER OUTAGE AS WELL

POST # 234

Keeping my finger on the pulse.


It's now just past 9pm on the west coast, and after more than six hours without power, I am finally getting a chance to write my blog for today.  Better late than never.  

Everything turned off just after one o'clock this afternoon, but I have a good book to read so it wasn't really a big deal.  No doubt there were many in the neighbourhood who might have been somewhat more agitated with the situation, but after living for almost 5 years in my little shack in the Yukon without power OR running water, this little drama was a non event to me.  Just go with the flow, and count my blessings.  

A major storm system has arrived and things are expected to be windy and wet for the next day or two. I did manage to get out for my daily bike ride today but it had it's own little bit of excitement thrown in.  A HUGE gust of wind swept across the road at one point, and in addition to knocking numerous garbage bins over,  it almost took me out as well.  I had to really lean into the wind in order to not get blown over.   Fun stuff.  It pays to be living in the moment.  

The link below talks about the storm moving through, and there is a possibility of  up to 2 FEET  of rain in some areas.  Welcome to the new normal.  It's called a rain bomb.  The atmosphere is so warm now, that it holds plenty of moisture, and when that moisture descends to the ground, look out.





All in all, it's been an interesting day, and it's shaping up to be a wet and windy weekend.  I'm not sure if there will be any  more power outages, but if there are, I'll just accept them as they come.   At least I have a gas fireplace to keep me warm. 






And speaking of fireplaces, here is an old video of when I was housesitting in Grand Forks, which had a nice wood stove, and some extremely relaxed looking critters as well.


Now I better go and check to see if the ice cream in the freezer melted.


living a life of profound acceptance,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

No comments:

Post a Comment