not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Sunday, June 7, 2015

BIKING AROUND ORCAS, "GREEN" ENERGY, AND THE NATURE BATS LAST WEST COAST TOUR

POST # 169

My time on Orcas is quickly coming to an end and it seems like time is speeding up these days.  I suppose it's just one of the things that happens as one ages.

Since arriving here I have been fortunate to have the use of a bike, and I've made sure to go out for at least one ride each day, but usually two.  Here is a photo of the bike.


I haven't had the chance to ride much in the past six months or so, and the lack of exercise combined with the usual amount of calorie intake, has left me with an energy surplus, which is a polite way of saying that I have a larger waistline  than before.  Energy in, energy out.  It's really a simple formula, but simple doesn't imply easy.

There are always plenty of places to ride to, and things to see along the way.  One of my favourite places to spend time is at the beach at East Sound.  This photo was taken quite a few days ago, when we had some cloud cover, but it's long gone now, and each day has provided an abundance of sunshine since then.  The grass is "crunchy" dry which isn't normal for this neck of the woods, but it's becoming the norm nowadays.


On my journey yesterday, I rode through the town, and as it was Saturday, it was very busy.  I happened to come across an event at the main park where they were promoting all sorts of "green" energy "solutions" to our fossil fuel predicament.  Here are a few of the things that I saw.








Now I could have started a conversation with people at any one of these displays and if I had,  I probably would have begun by asking, " How exactly are the materials used in solar panels and cars acquired?"   It wouldn't be the type of question that any of the participants would be expecting.  Of course, it doesn't take an Einstein to work out, that it requires a tremendous amount of fossil fuel energy to mine the materials needed to produce these items in the first place, so you can now throw out the term "green" and you may as well throw out the word "sustainable" as well.
Yes, I could have started plenty of conversations, but I already know that I would be wasting my time, and spoiling their dreams.  As a society, we are extremely reluctant to give up on the notion that new technology will be the solution to the predicaments we find ourselves in, but it is technology that has helped to paint us into this corner, without an exit strategy.
So instead I just wandered around and took a few photos.  Even if everyone on Orcas Island had solar panels on their properties, and they all drove around in Tesla and BMW cars, it still wouldn't make any difference, now that we are in the era of abrupt climate change.

I continued on my ride and came across this old relic from a by gone era.  Sometime in the future, there may be the rusted out remnants of a Tesla here on Orcas, however by the time that happens,  I wonder if there will be anyone here to see it?  I know I won't be.



As the day progressed I took time out in the garden, to pick through the strawberry patch, and enjoy some of the sweetest strawberries ever.  Here is one, just prior to popping it in my mouth.


The tiny house in the background, is called the Raven house, and it is where I am spending my evenings while here.  It's cozy, but I like cozy.

Finally, I pedaled down to the beach at the north end of the island which is only a  few minutes from here.  I came across some little creatures in the sand, which made me think that I was looking at popcorn popping.  Look closely.


Then, just after 9pm, the sun was setting over Saturna Island, and as luck would have it, there happened to be a man further along the beach who was playing a flute.  It was a pleasant combination of sight and sound.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NBL WEST COAST TOUR

After I depart Orcas this week, I will be accompanying my friend Guy, as he starts his Pacific Northwest tour, which kicks off in Vancouver on June 12th, and finishes in Portland Oregon on June 26th.  During this time I may or may not have the use of a computer to write my blog on the 14th or 21st.   Tour details can be found at this link:

http://guymcpherson.com/coming-events/



Happy trails,
Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to your company, Paul. You'll have have to my computer, so you'll have no good excuse for not posting in this space during the coming two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Guy,
    Just when I thought I would be given a vacation from my blog for a couple of weeks, the teacher supplies me with a computer to use. Who knows what words of wisdom might evolve during the next two weeks of June.

    ReplyDelete