not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

SIX YEARS PLUS ONE DAY

POST # 153

Six years plus one day ago, on January 27th 2009, I completed my last shift at work at Aquabus in Vancouver.  Now of all the things that I have done over my working life, which amounts to over forty different "careers", working at Aquabus was without a doubt the most enjoyable time I have ever had at work.

However, by 2009,  it was time to move on, so in spite of the fact that I was closing the door on what had been a very enjoyable time in my work life,  I walked away.

Since that time, life has been a fascinating journey, with the usual ups and downs, however I certainly don't regret that my life has taken on this new direction.

Of course, some would think that I am just an unemployed bum, and they're entitled to their own opinion, but I'm long past the age where I get too concerned about other people's opinion of how I should live my life.  I made the decision to move on, and I must live with the consequences of that decision.

Back in 2009, I was quite convinced that the whole system we call industrial civilization was on the verge of collapse,  but I guess with enough duct tape, bailing wire, financial shenanigans, and a constant stream of "circuses" via the media to distract the masses, somehow,  at least on the surface, things seem to be cruising along about the same as before.

But with a little investigation, it's easy to find the chinks in the armor.  Perhaps this is the year that the whole thing begins to unravel.  It's kind of like the story about the guy who went broke, and when asked how that had happened, his reply was, slowly at first, and then all at once.  I feel that we are in the "slowly at first" part but that the "all at once" part can't be too far off.  Time will tell.

With this in mind, late last year I made a promise to myself, that before everything collapsed, I would like to make one last trip to Australia, and one last trip to the Yukon.

Well I'm half way through my list, as I type these words while sitting in the library in Coolum Beach Queensland, where I have been situated now since about the middle of January.  In my care is Chloe the furball and she'll be my sidekick for about two more weeks.  We've sweated through the sticky Queensland summer so far.  I was talking to a local in one of the shops the other day.  He has lived here for 19 years, and he told me that this was the worst that he could ever remember with regards to heat and humidity.  And I thought it was just me.

I certainly couldn't have imagined back in 2009 that I would be here in 2015.  However, after six years plus one day, here I sit.




Happy trails,
Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer































No comments:

Post a Comment