not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Monday, April 21, 2014

MIKE RUPPERT

POST # 116

At some of my house sit locations there is no phone. It's a sign of the times with so many people owning cell phones now. I'm OK with this arrangement as it is a piece of technology that I rarely use these days, much to the chagrin of family and friends.

However just over a week ago on Sunday, April 13th, I would have appreciated having a phone to use to make just one call. For the past three years, if I have access to a computer, I listen to a podcast every Sunday called "The Lifeboat Hour" hosted by Mike Ruppert. I first came in contact with Mike's work probably in late 2006 or early 2007. Last year in May, I had the opportunity to visit Mike while he was living in Colorado.

On Sunday (13th) Mike was interviewing his friend Carolyn Baker, whom I'd also had the pleasure of meeting on Bowen Island last year. The phone lines were open for callers, and my first thought was that it would be nice to just call and say a quick hello and to thank them both for all the work that they do, and to let Mike know that I might have an opportunity to visit him in his new home in California later this year. But, no phone, so the call was never made.

I had an unusually restless night, and the next morning as I was checking another website that I follow, I was dumbfounded to learn that soon after the Lifeboat Hour show, Mike took his own life.


I've included a photo of Mike and Rags his dog. Rags had gone walkabout for a few days last November and after Mike found him, they were both ready for a good long and restful nap together.

Rags isn't the only one who will miss Mike.

Happy trails,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

No comments:

Post a Comment