not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Friday, February 14, 2014

RAIN AND DROUGHT

POST # 107

A view out of my window this morning showed scattered cloud cover and some rain falling. My plan was to head to the library to write up another short blog entry, however the thought of riding in the rain made me pause to consider whether I would go or not. Thankfully, before long the sun was shining again, and this convinced me to carry on with my initial plan.

Speaking of rain, I should consider myself lucky in comparison to what's going on in the UK at the moment. One storm after another has been dumping copious quantities of the wet stuff, and has resulted in significant flooding and infrastructure damage. Even the old Queen can have a ring side seat view from Windsor Castle. I wonder if she thinks about climate change and the meandering jet stream? Probably not. But whether you are the Queen of England or just a cab driver, whether you buy into the science or not, the effects are all around. Ironically, the Thames barrier which was built to prevent flooding from the incoming sea, is located on the downstream side of the Thames, east of London, but the majority of the flooding is west of London. So much for technology.

It's been interesting watching the politicians talk about solutions, or who is to blame. All their talk is just so much hot air, and that's about it.

Over in this neck of the woods, in the southwest US, particularly California, the drought continues to get worse. I sure wouldn't want to be living in southern California, what with all those people and a deepening water crisis. It could be a long hot summer, and I wonder if tempers will flare right along with the heat? Time will tell, but having witnessed normally sensible people getting into fist fights over bottled water in Vancouver a few years ago, over something that wasn't even an emergency, I suspect that if conditions continue to deteriorate in California, it won't be a pretty picture. I think I will keep California off of my housesitting calendar.

Back here in Nanaimo, things are rather benign in comparison to other locations on the planet, and Piper the furball and I have been fortunate to live a rather comfortable existence. It's time yet again to count my blessings, something I do on a daily basis now.

The computer clock is ticking, and so I had better get this wrapped up, edited and "in the can" as they say. The sun is still shining out there, and the bike beckons.

Happy Trails,

Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer










No comments:

Post a Comment