not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Thursday, November 21, 2013

WANDERING AGAIN

POST # 96

For reasons that have been stated in an earlier post, November 21st has been a significant day in this wandering life of mine. And today I will be wandering once again. Destination, Washington State for a break from all of this stressful house sitting. A guy needs to take a break every now and again. Shadow the cat, my companion for the past two weeks has been a real treat though, and I'll be a bit sad to have to say goodbye to him. Perhaps I'll see him again next year at this time.

However, when I think about a whole entire year ahead, I can't help but wonder just what things will be like by then. If Fukushima doesn't finish us all off, then there's always climate change, which by all accounts that I follow appears to be picking up pace, and even as that happens, the climate bureaucrats sit in Warsaw Poland this week discussing the matter. I reviewed a video clip this past week from the climate summit in Rio way back in 1992, at which David Suzuki's daughter had some choice words to say to the delagates all that long time ago. She was just 12 years old then. It made me cry, just to watch it. Fast forward to 2013, and nothing has been done, and that tells me all I need to know on that front. The big difference now though, is that the climate has taken charge, and so all of the bureaucrats can talk until they're blue in the face, and it won't make a hill of beans worth of difference. They've been doing it now for over 20 years, talk, talk, talk. They'll probably be at it next year. I wonder how many self reinforcing feedback loops will be in the system by then?

OK, so I've got that off of my chest, for this week at least but I'm sure that I'm not done with the topic. All I can do is to keep spreading the message for those who care to dig a bit deeper and look at the facts.

In the meantime I will continue to put one foot in front of the other and face each day, knowing that it's all that I have. Precious moments, one after another. In spite of it all, there is still time for laughter and joy. And time to wander.

Happy trails,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

PS. If you want to watch the speech by Severn Suzuki, just google Severn Suzuki at Earth Summit 1992 and that should work. Have some tissues ready just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment