not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Monday, October 21, 2013

TWO YEARS ON and THE PACIFIC OCEAN

POST # 92

Exactly two years ago today, The Thoughtful Wanderer began. At that time I was in Lake Oswego Oregon caring for a cat named Jill. Since then, I have travelled far and wide and during that time I have had the pleasure to take care of plenty of wonderful animals, and in addition to that I have met some very interesting people as well.

The journey continues. Yesterday I came across an article that I found difficult to read due to its content. As someone who has had the opportunity to spend time out in the open ocean, reading this article made me very sad indeed. I've included the link for anyone who wishes to read it.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/1848433/the-ocean-is-broken/?cs=12

The title of the article is "The Ocean Is Broken" and I think it is well worth the time to read.

Surrounded as I currently am by the same ocean mentioned in the above article, it feels like being in an oasis in the desert. Even the vastness of the Pacific is no match it seems for industrial civilization. And yet, the industrial machine continues to grind on and on. At some point, this civilization will come to an end as all do, however I wonder how much of our living planet will be left at that point.

And we call ourselves the wise ape. I'm not so sure about that any longer.

Happy Trails

Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer

No comments:

Post a Comment