not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Thursday, June 14, 2012

WALKING IN THE GARDEN OF EDEN

POST # 30 "You're good with dates." Most people who know me well have made this comment to me from time to time. And for the most part I would have to say that it is true. I'm not sure why that this is so, but it just is. However, a date that I have no memory of even though it would have been a significant milestone in my life, would have come to pass sometime probably between December 3rd, 1955 and March 3rd 1956. At least that is an estimate according to the experts on this subject. When this event took place exactly is anyone's guess at this point. The only possible surviving witnesses would be my four sisters, and the chances of them being there when it happened are probably slim, and even if they were there, I doubt if it would have made much of an impression on them. We are all so close in age that they were most likely developing their own technique and wouldn't have had the time to worry about what their baby brother was up to. The experts will tell you that somewhere between 9 and 12 months, most children begin to walk. Now I don't know if I fit into that category or not, but it does offer an approximate timeline at least. It's very unfortunate that this human development begins so early, and that we don't have any memory of it, as I imagine that it must be one of the most magnificent things to happen to all of us along our journey through life. One day, we are crawling around from place to place and before you know it, we're just cruising around effortlessly. Of course the reason for thinking about all of this today, is that only two days ago, JUNE 12th, to be exact is the very first day after 100 days, that I took my first tentative steps on my right leg. This will of course be filed away as just another one of those dates that I will remember. I didn't get to remember those first steps so very long ago, but I will remember these ones. Even though I have an air cast that I can wear on my leg, I decided to put on my running shoe instead. A few short weeks ago, I doubt that I would have been able to do this, as the foot was still quite swollen, but by June 12th it was down to a manageable size, and I figured it would be better to start walking in a balanced manner as opposed to the lopsided walk I would have if I was wearing the air cast. It was a beautiful day so I went outside on the grass as my first venue to take those first cautious steps. Both the doctor and the physio told me that I should only put about 25% weight on the leg for the first couple of weeks, but the physio also said, that I would know if had overdone it, by the pain level. So that is what I am using as my guide. After numerous walks around the yard, I decided that it was time to get somewhat more adventurous, and seeing as I needed a few things from the supermarket, I headed off down the road in that direction. This journey which on a healthy pair of legs would have taken me somewhere between five and ten minutes, took the better part of a half an hour each way. But I was in no rush and because of the extra mental effort of concentrating on each step so that I didn't fall, the time passed by quite quickly. Upon returning home safely, I was quite happy with this first little accomplishment. I won't be climbing any mountains again for the foreseeable future, but one has to start somewhere. In the evening, my friend Don came over for a visit and he brought with him a device that is now hooked up to the back wheel of one of the bicycles here which allows me to use it as a stationary exercise bike. I was on it a couple of times yesterday, and since riding a bike to me is so second nature, all went well, and my leg didn't complain too much, so it will be something that I will be doing daily from now on. After all, prior to the accident, cycling was a daily routine for me anyhow. There are actually two bikes here at my disposal, so once I get a bit more confident, I will contemplate taking the other one for a ride, at least to the end of the driveway and back. I don't think I am ready to share the road with cars just yet. However there is a bike path to the supermarket, and so that could be my first "long" ride in the future. So I have covered the "walking" part of the title, and now let's move on to the "Garden of Eden" section. My current housesit here in Calgary, is on a 5 acre parcel of land which many years ago wouldn't have stood out in this area at all. Back in the '60's when I was attending junior high school close to here, all of the land surrounding this property would have looked very similar. In other words, it was all undeveloped for the most part. But not today. With the exception of a couple of neighbours, all the this part of town is now infested with suburban sprawl, but fortunately for me, I can barely see any of it, due to the fact that this place is surrounded by a variety of trees. I can be sitting outside and really feel like I am out in the countryside and that makes me happy. Just to give an idea of how densely built out this area now is, a similar 5 acre block just south I where I am has 26 houses on it. HOLY CRAP!!!! Looking out the window from the computer room here, all I can see are trees, lilac bushes, blue sky and the occasional bunny rabbit, squirrel, magpie or deer roaming by. So it is a garden of eden of sorts, and I am very fortunate to have the opportunity to be housesitting here for a month. The most steps I have to negotiate inside the house are two, which is a big change from my last housesits, and that makes life easier. And in addition to that, for the first time in a very long time, this is a housesit without pets which feels a bit strange I have to admit. I like having the critters around to talk to and interact with. On the plus side though, it makes for a very easy housesit so I am not complaining. And finally, I think it's rather appropriate that my first steps this week have been taken in my old hometown where all those years ago, on a date that I can't remember, I took my very first tentative steps. Happy Trails, Paul The Thoughtful Wanderer

No comments:

Post a Comment