not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Saturday, January 14, 2012

5:16AM AND OTHER THOUGHTS

POST #12
I have just wandered in to the Yukon College to use their computer to write this latest blog. It's just now past 11am and the current temperature is minus 37. Brrrr!!!! My fingers aren't moving very well across the keyboard as they are still warming up from my walk from home, so it will take a while for the blood to get to the extremities. The forecast low for Dawson tonight is minus 45 so it looks as though the REAL January has finally arrived. For the next 3 days the forecast HIGH for each is minus 41. But the good news is, cold weather means a clear sky and I think this morning is the first morning since arriving that it hasn't been overcast.
For some reason I awoke this morning at 5:16am which is damn early in most people's books, but if you're a housesitter like me, then it's bloody ridiculously early. Even Otto the dog was wondering what was going on at that hour. Absolutely nothing was going on, with the exception of the grinding of the wheels in my brain churning over all manner of thoughts. Maybe I awoke because I was thinking about what to write today, or maybe it was the clear sky, but whatever caused it, there was no going back to sleep. Try as I might, this just wasn't going to happen. As I lay there trying to pretend I was asleep so that Otto wouldn't get up, my mind was wide awake with Dawson thoughts, travel thoughts, friends and family thoughts and everything in between. One of the things that did come to mind was the book that I just finished reading last night. The title is "Brother Fish" by Australian auther Bryce Courtney. I was familiar with the author, but had not read any of his books. One of the good things about not having such regular access to the internet is that I have been back doing more reading which is always worthwhile. However, never have I come across a book until this one, that I actually had to put down, in order to save some reading for later. It was that much of a page turner that I didn't want it to end, and so yesterday afternoon with only 20 pages to go of a 1066 page novel, I stuffed the bookmark back in the book so that I would have the last 20 pages to read just before bed.
Considering that once upon a time, I never read books, I have come a long way indeed. And I have to thank my dear friend Ted, who now resides in Vancouver, for getting me started many years ago.
The year was 1979 and I was hitchhiking down the east coast of Tasmania, while Ted and a couple of California girls were riding their bikes. Ted asked me what was I reading while I sat by the side of the road waiting, and when I told him that I didn't read, I think he must have thought I was crazy. Funnily enough the book I just finished takes place partly in Tasmania.
I've lost track of all the reading I've done in the 30 plus years in between, however I haven't spent very much of it reading fiction. After "Brother Fish" I may have to change that. So if you're reading this Ted, thanks mate.
Back here in Dawson, the time is just flying on by and soon enough I will be on my way back to Orcas island. It's going to feel like Hawaii after the temperatures we're having here, and I am very much looking forward to spending time with my two cat friends Oscar and Felix.
But in the meantime, it's Otto and the frozen north. So it's time to go back out and enjoy the sun today. Even though it doesn't offer much heat, it's just a pleasure to see it once again.
The woodstove is going to get plenty of use this week for sure.
Until next time,
Stay warm.
Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul, brrrr too cold. Glad I'm not there although we're having a cold snap down here in Van it might plummet to -6!!!

    ReplyDelete