not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

GOODBYES AND HELLOS

POST #8
It's about 6:30pm on December 14th and I am only now just getting an opportunity to write my blog. My mind is tired as it has been a long two days and I am quite sure I will have a good sleep tonight.
Yesterday, after 3 weeks in Nanaimo with Myrtle dog, I had to say goodbye as it was time to move on to my next home. I was up early getting the house tidied up and trying to maximize my last few hours with Myrtle. Bill arrived at 11:30am to collect us and take me to the ferry terminal. As Bill and Myrtle drove away my thoughts were on the day ahead. I had plenty of running around to do during the few hours I had in Vancouver, and before long I was on the skytrain for the journey to the airport in preparation for my flight to Whitehorse.
The Air North flight departed right on schedule at 9pm with arrival anticipated for 11:30pm in Whitehorse.
I used the time on board to do some reading and jot down some notes of things to do once I get to Dawson.
Still wearing my shorts when we arrived, I got a few strange looks even though it was only about minus 9 degrees when we landed. A quick shuttle bus to the Yukon Inn, time to brush my teeth, read a few paragraphs and then drift rapidly into la la land.
I was up this morning at 5am and had a brief visit with my Dawson friends over breakfast at the airport, and soon I was on the twin prop plane on our way over the frozen north land to Dawson airport. A Dawson friend was sitting next to me on the journey so it was an opportunity to catch up on what's been happening in town since my last visit in the summer of 2010. We made our final bank over the village of Bear Creek, which will be my home until the end of the month and landed smoothly a few moments later. With a temperature of minus 24, the shorts got a few more comments than they did the night before in Whitehorse.
My friend Myrna was there to meet me and drive me to my new home, where I was greeted warmly by Skidder, Breaker, and Roxie, the border collies, and Dusty and Trouble, the two resident furballs.
Today just flew right on by, and was filled with visits with friends and walks with the dogs.
I find it hard to believe that a year and a half have passed since I was last here, and at that time it was midsummer, so it's a whole different ball game now, as we approach the winter solstice.
It will take me a day or two to get into a routine,and I'm looking forward to yet again, getting re-aquainted with my Dawson friends. The days now, are short indeed so the dogs and I will have to make the best of them with plenty of walks around the town and in the bush around Bear Creek.
It is a rather short blog today, but it has been a long day and so my brain isn't really as clear as it could be, so it's probably best to just say "that's a wrap" and see what I can come up with again next week.
Bye for now from the frozen Yukon.
Paul
The Thoughtful (but tired)Wanderer

1 comment:

  1. Hey Paul!

    Where are you staying, and when can you come over for a visit?

    Wayne and Mindy

    ReplyDelete